The Safety Razor, also known as a double edge, DE or single blade razor, offers a great alternative to a modern cartridge or electric razors.
The single blade cuts close to the skin and the guard offers protection against cuts and nicks, making it the perfect entry point for those looking to improve the quality of their shave.
BENEFITS OF USING A SAFETY RAZOR
At Groom Manifest, we strongly believe a DE razor is superior to a cartridge based razor system as they offer a more comfortable angle that cuts the hair cleanly without grabbing or pulling excessively. Benefits include;
- More control over the razor and the closeness of the shave
- Less pulling - especially for longer stubble
- Single cutting edge which reduces razor burn
- More economical - longer lasting and cheaper blades
WHAT YOU'LL NEED
A safety razor (You’ll want one that fits well in your hand, has a nice grip, and feels heavy) + shaving brush + shaving soap
SHAVING WITH A SAFETY RAZOR
Step (1) Prepare the face
- Wait until after you’ve showered or applied a hot towel to your face before shaving to soften skin.
Step (2) Build the lather
- Wet your brush under running hot water for at least a minute. Make sure the bristles have soaked up the water
- Lather up the soap using circular motions for about 25 seconds until you reach a thick, warm lather
- Apply the warm lather with a shaving brush evenly across the face in circular motions, increasing the thickness and softening your whiskers.
Step (3) The shave
- Rinse the safety razor under hot water for a few seconds
- Hold the razor at a 30-degree angle to the face (don't apply any pressure)
- Let the weight of the razor gently glide down your skin
- Cut the hair with short, easy strokes in the direction of the grain.
Step (5) Repeat passes
- Repeat Step 3 until all the hair has been removed.
- Once the face is clean, rinse with cold water
- Apply an aftershave to help smooth any irritation.
If you have any questions or need some man-to-man advice, don’t hesitate to get in touch email@example.com.